GURT 2014: Usage-based Approaches to Language, Language Learning, and Multilingualism
Abstr. due: 15.10.2014
Dates: 14.03.14 — 16.03.14
Organizing comittee e-mail: email@example.com
Organizers: Lourdes Ortega and Andrea Tyler.
GURT 2014 will bring together research from various usage-based perspectives in order to explore (a) how communicative context and language use, in interaction with general cognitive processes, shape the properties of language, language change, and language learning and (b) the consequences of bilingualism and multilingualism for usage-based theorizing and investigation.
Researchers who take a usage-based perspective (broadly defined) have argued that linguistic structure cannot be fully understood if isolated from the study of how language is employed to create meaning. Moreover, an increasing number of researchers from the fields of first language acquisition, second language acquisition, bilingualism, and multilingualism have argued that language learning is guided in crucial ways by the contexts of meaningful communication in which language use is embedded. Overlapping strands of investigation pursued by these researchers include:
- the importance of general human cognitive processes in interaction with the physical-social world in shaping cognition and language;
- the connection between linguistic form and function;
- the importance of frequency and saliency in the input on language learning and language change;
- the centrality of diversity and variability in explaining language and language learning; and
- the connections between language, language learning, and general properties of cognition.
Conference Web-Site: http://units.georgetown.edu/linguistics/gurt/2014/index.html
Similar conferences with close deadlines:
IV международная научно-практическая конференция "Классическая и современная литература: преемственность и перспективы обновления"Theses applying till 02.11.19, Прага