4th South Asian History Conference 2016
Abstr. due: 30.09.2016
Dates: 07.10.16 — 09.10.16
Area Of Sciences: History and archeology;
Organizing comittee e-mail: email@example.com
Organizers: Department of History, Punjabi University
The Department of History, Punjabi University Patiala, Punjab (India) will hold its 4th South Asia n History Conference on 7 - 9 October 201 6 at Punjabi University campus. This three day conference aims to bring together historians, academicians, research scholars working on the countries of South Asia viz. India, Pakistan, Nepal, Maldives, Bhutan, Sri Lan ka, Afghanistan, and Myanmar to cover the gap in South Asian Historical Studies .
Suggested Themes : Themes might include but need not be limited to the following:
- Early formation of the State : tribal chiefdoms, j anapadas and m ahajanpadas .
- The Mauryan State: basis, nature and f unctions.
- The Gupta administration and p olity.
- State formation in South India with special reference to the Cholas.
- The Del hi Sultanate: theory of k in g ship; nature and f unctions of the state.
- The Mughal State: s ocio - e conomic basis and nature of state ; mansabdari and a dministrati ve institution s .
- Relationship between empires and component regional kingdoms .
- The Colonial State: State machinery; instruments of legitimisation .
- Utilitarian s and the colonial policy of administration.
- Reaction and response to colonial rule and the struggle for freedom.
- Constitutional reforms and their impact.
- Relations of power vis - a - vis religion, caste, class and gender identities.
- Development of the nation states.
- Framing of the c onstitution i
- Transition from monarchy to democracy in South Asia.
- Military regimes vis - a - vis democratic systems.
- Historiographical critiques on the nature of the State in South Asia.
Conference Web-Site: http://www.punjabiuniversity.ac.in/pbiuniweb/pages/theme2016.pdf