The first Asian Wetland Symposium (AWS)
Abstr. due: 19.06.2017
Dates: 07.11.17 — 11.11.17
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizers: Wetlands International Japan
The first Asian Wetland Symposium (AWS) was held 25 years ago. Since then the situation of wetlands in Asia has been significantly changed. The number of the Contracting Parties to the Ramsar Convention and Ramsar Sites in Asia increased dramatically which strengthened conservation and wise use of wetlands in the region. On the other hand, degradation and loss of wetlands and biodiversity were caused by rapid economic growth, unsustainable development, climate change, and new issues which we did not face 25 years ago.
Therefore, organizers encourage you to review achievements, practices, progress, and challenges related to wetlands conservation in Asia in the past quarter century, to feature and highlight the current situation, and to provide recommendations looking for the next quarter century and beyond in order to mainstream conservation and wise use of wetlands.
This symposium focuses on the following topics:
- Wetlands and Disaster Risk Reduction / Climate Change
- Wetlands and Use of Natural Resources / Agriculture / Fisheries / Food Security
- Wetlands and Biodiversity / Restoration / Reintroduction
- Urban Wetlands / Wetland City / Natural Infrastructure
- Wetlands and CEPA (Communication, Capacity building, Education, Participation and Awareness) / ESD (Education for Sustainable Development)
- Wetlands and Youth
- Transboundary Wetlands / International Cooperation and Partnership
- Wetlands and Business / Corporate Sectors
- Wetlands and Sustainable Tourism
- Wetlands and Culture
- Wetlands and Changes / Monitoring
Note: The session of “Wetlands and Youth” will be organized by Youth Ramsar Japan. The main members of this NGO are the young generation (Age 15 - 25) and they welcome the presentations from the same generation involved in activities of conservation, management, and wise use of wetlands, and the related researches. Therefore, this session will share experiences of activities and case studies of high schools, universities and NGOs.
Conference Web-Site: http://aws2017.org/callforabstracts.html