17th International Conference on Minority Languages
Abstr. due: 01.10.2018
Dates: 22.05.19 — 24.05.19
Area Of Sciences: Humanities;
Organizing comittee e-mail: https://icml.eu/registration/
Organizers: Mercator, the European research centre on multilingualism and language learning
Globalization has affected our world in countless ways. For example, it changed (and still changes) how people do business, communicate with each other and it impacts education and language learning. This is also the case for minority or minoritized languages. But while the world is increasingly globalizing, minority languages may face severe challenges to survive or withhold their position within a dynamic society.
The few dominant languages strongly influence smaller languages in language use and number of speakers, education and language learning, language policy and the development of language technologies for these under-resourced languages. Some languages are even threatened with extinction. According to the Endangered Language Project, 40% of the languages of the world will disappear due to globalization.
ICML XVII will address the challenges and opportunities of smaller languages such as minority languages in a globalized society. It aims to bring together scholars and students across the multidisciplinary field of minority languages.
We are proud to introduce our plenary speakers:
- Dr. Bernat Joan i Marí (Associate Lecturer, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Catalunya/Spain)
- Dr. Lorna Carson (Associate Professor in Applied Linguistics, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
- Dr. Delyth Prys (Head of the Language Technology Unit Bangor University, Wales/United Kingdom)
- Dr. Mandana Seyfeddinipur (Director Endangered Languages Documentation Programme SOAS/University of London, United Kingdom).
Call for Papers:
We welcome proposals focussing on minority languages and...
- digital technologies
- language use in social media
- new speakers
- methodologies in minority language research
- language policies and revitalization
- education and language learning
- language documentation and archiving.
Conference Web-Site: https://icml.eu/
Similar conferences with close deadlines:
Европейский журнал литературоведения и лингвистики. Номер 2/2021Theses applying till 30.04.21, Вена
VI Международный конгресс по социальным и гуманитарным наукам: "Создавая академические связи"Theses applying till 01.07.21, Вена
VIII Международный симпозиум «Гуманитарные и общественные науки в Европе: достижения и перспективы»ITheses applying till 24.01.22, Вена