Annual Conference on the Teaching of Writing
Abstr. due: 31.01.2019
Dates: 06.04.19 — 06.04.19
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizers: The University of Connecticut
Some fifty years ago, in 1964, Marshall McLuhan famously declared, “The medium is the message.” Forty years later (in 2007), in her Chair’s Address to the Conference on College Composition and Communication, Kathleen Blake Yancey observed that new media and composing technologies had led to the invention of new genres as well as to the creation of a new writing public. And in the decade since Yancey’s riveting talk, these new media and composing technologies have become progressively “newer,” allowing, and inviting, us in the college writing course to now also more readily produce rather than just consume new media and new messages.
What does the teaching of writing with new media and new messages mean—and look like—for you? We invite proposals that engage questions such as (but not limited to) the following:
- How have new media and composing technologies transformed the intellectual work of college writing?
- How can we address or incorporate some of the genres of new media and new messages that students often use to compose outside of class?
- How can traditional conceptions of rhetoric inform our engagement with multimodal composition? Conversely, how can digital work reinvigorate traditional conceptions of rhetoric?
- How can we foster multimodal literacies in those cases when learning environments don’t offer students sufficient access to digital technologies?
- What particular activities and assignments have you successfully used in composing with new media and/or new messages? How have you employed remix or remediation in your teaching?
We seek proposals of 250 to 300 words for individual presentations, panels, and roundtables (full panels and roundtables are either 60 or 75 minutes; individual presentations should run 15 minutes). We ask that you please submit only one proposal.
Similar conferences with close deadlines:
International Scientific Conference "Education, Сulture and Society"Theses applying till 28.06.19, Санкт-Петербург
IX международная научно-практическая конференция "Иностранный язык в системе среднего и высшего образования"Theses applying till 25.09.19, Прага
V международная научно-практическая конференция "Тенденции развития современной лингвистики в эпоху глобализации"Theses applying till 12.10.19, Прага