International Conference "Manipulation and Perception: Forms and Ways of Manipulated Communication in the Ancient World"
Abstr. due: 30.04.2019
Dates: 25.09.19 — 27.09.19
Area Of Sciences: History and archeology;
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizers: Department of Philology, Literature and Linguistics - University of Cagliari
The manipulation of communication often played a fundamental role in ancient culture. Indeed, great attention was paid to the modes in which written or oral texts could be used to persuade or appeal to the audience.
Starting from the opposition between objective reality and subjective reception, the theme of manipulation and communication is central to classical thought and permeates every field of ancient culture (rhetoric, philosophy, poetry, historiography, politics, and religion). Different means of expression (e. g., metre, figures of speech, syntax) are thus used to influence the audience’s opinion and judgements.
Hence, in current society, where the value of classical heritage is increasingly brought into question, Manipulation and Perception opens up several points of reflection regarding the techniques of manipulating communication and the eternal dilemma between appearance and reality.
Suggested fields and topics include but are not limited to:
1) Manipulation of group dynamics and in interpersonal relationships (e.g. etairiai, fides, oaths);
2) Manipulation in political and legislative fields (means of political persuasion and their perception by the citizens);
3) Manipulation of texts through style and metrics to elicit reactions from the audience;
4) Perception of reality in ancient philosophical thought (e.g. doxa, aisthesis, aletheia, eikos, verum, probabile, similia veri, ambitus);
5) Manipulation of irrational beliefs;
6) Manipulation of myths and historical events;
7) Re-uses of classical texts in non-classical literatures;
8) Use of ancient techniques of manipulation and persuasion in contemporary communication.
Conference Web-Site: https://www.cfplist.com/CFP/19848
Similar conferences with close deadlines:
Вторая международная научная конференция "Деньги в российской истории. Вопросы производства, обращения, бытования"Theses applying till 01.05.19, Санкт-Петербург
International Conference On Local Wisdom (INCOLWIS) 2018 Theses applying till 09.05.19, Yogyakarta
2019 3rd International Conference on Culture and History (ICCH 2019)Theses applying till 10.05.19, Budapest