Modern and Contemporary Literature Conference in China
Abstr. due: 01.05.2019
Dates: 22.06.19 — 23.06.19
Organizing comittee e-mail: CLIconference@163.com
Organizers: Hunan Normal University
The First Annual International Conference: Literary Ideas and Practices in 20th and 21st Century United States of America and United Kingdom is sponsored by the Foreign Studies College and the British and American Poetry Research Center of Hunan Normal University and co-hosted by the Journal of Foreign Languages and Cultures. Affiliates of the conference through participant involvement include the University of Chicago and California State University, Los Angeles.
This is a confounded and confounding era in literary studies with key terms and concepts remaining increasingly vexed and unresolved. What constitutes a nation and national identity? What is the nature and impact of the modern, the contemporary, and the relationship between them? What is, and what can be, the sociopolitical role of literature and aesthetic ideas and communication? This international conference hopes to engender dialogue and further understanding of topics of pressing concern to many scholars around the globe.
Suggested topics for papers and panels. Submissions in other areas are welcome.
- social and political impacts of literary ideas, practices, and products
- influences, adaptations, and appropriations across cultures
- memory and belonging in diverse populations
- contending representations of America and Americanness
- contending representations of the UK and Britishness
- perspectives on ecopoetics
- literary translation
- genre theory and genre studies
- modernism and modernity
- the contemporary moment