Liberal Education in Era of Migration, Refugee Crises, and Decolonization
City: Calgary, Alberta
Abstr. due: 07.03.2020
Dates: 01.05.20 — 02.05.20
Area Of Sciences: Pedagogy;
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizers: Mount Royal University
The aims of liberal education are variously articulated as an instrument for the teaching of transferable practical skills; the making and enabling of responsible citizens; or the cultivation of virtue, self-knowledge, and broad, general wisdom. These aims and the means of achieving them all need to be reassessed as our wider society is transformed by both by the infusion of new peoples and the increased engagement of Indigenous communities.
The Department of General Education at Mount Royal University in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and its partner, Medicine Hat College, in Medicine Hat Alberta, Canada invite papers and panel presentations for our fifth Liberal Education Conference on the theme of Liberal Education in an Era of Migration, Refugee Crises, and Decolonization. Broad topic areas related to this may include, but are not excluded to:
- the challenges to the historical grounding of liberal education in a time of increased cultural heterogeneity.
- the place of liberal education in the construction of a common meeting place in society embracing diverse, distinct cultures.
- the experience of arrival and purposes of liberal education for refugee or recent immigrant.
- the possibility of a coherent programme of liberal education in the absence of a common culture.
- liberal education as a progressive instrument in the face of hostility to migration, decolonization and cultural diversity.
- the aims of liberal education in a multi-cultural society.
- Intersectionality of the refugees and the indigenous communities
- International refugee law and the overlap with liberal education the curriculum of a liberal education: which are the great books; or is liberal education dependent on canonical texts, whatever they may be.
- Decolonization and canonization
- pedagogical practice in the presence of cultural diversity — the problems “language proficiency,” cultural capital, and behavioural norms in the classroom.
- contending cultural norms and the possibility of a general, liberal education.
- should liberal education be an instrument of social and cultural integration?
- trauma, memory and identity formation and how liberal education might address the issues
- liberal education and the building of intercultural solidarity.
- immigration and the infusion; inspiration; and transformation of liberal education.
Similar conferences with close deadlines:
Европейский журнал образования и прикладной психологии. Номер 4/2020Theses applying till 30.10.20, Вена