RELIGION AND CIVIL SOCIETY: Interconfessional and Ethnic Conflicts under the Conditions of Geopolitical Competition
City: Yalta, Livadia (Crimea, Ukraine)
Abstr. due: 01.10.2012
Dates: 05.11.12 — 10.11.12
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference fees and accomodation: Registration fee: 100 USD to be paid upon arrival, for an accompanying person – 50 USD.
Call for Papers
11th International Workshop
Religion and Civil Society:
Interconfessional and Ethnic Conflicts under the Conditions of Geopolitical Competition
November 5 – 10, 2012, Yalta, Livadia (Crimea, Ukraine)
Organizers: Western MichiganUniversity (USA) and TAURIDANATIONAL V.I.Vernadsky UNIVERSITY (Ukraine), Crimean Branch of THE Society of CONFLICTOLOGISTS OF UKRAINE,
NETWORK OF CULTURAL EXCHANGE AND INTERETHNIC TRUST (Ukraine)
Our discourse shall include the following topics:
· Interaction of the religious and geopolitical factors in ethnic conflicts;
· Civilizational and ethnic identity as a resource of manipulation in the context of geopolitical competition;
· Crisis of multiculturalism policy and ethnic conflicts in Europe;
· Ethno-confessional identity and integration processes in the globalizing world;
· Relations between Islam and Christianity in the context of regional, national and international security;
· Clash of Civilizations: myth or reality?
· Tolerance and hatred: philosophical, ethical and psychological aspects;
· Human and social capital: parameters of the interaction;
· Social networks as a factor in the structuring of civil society;
· State-church relations and social service in civil society;
· Media as a resource in geopolitical competition;
· Religion and sustainable development: environmental measuring of daily life;
· Linguistic aspects of intercultural and interfaith communication;
· Religion, science and education: in search of harmony and dialogue;
· Religion and economics: metamorphoses of the “economic ethos of capitalism” in post-soviet societies.
The list of issues is open for continuation.
Two Round tables will be held within the framework of the Workshop:
· “Orthodox Civilization in the Global World” (in commemoration of Alexander Panarin);
· “Politicization of Islam and Civil Society in Arab Countries: Triumph of Democratic Values or Geopolitical Competition?”
Dr. Rudolf Siebert, professor of the Department of Comparative Religion at Western Michigan university (USA), director of the Center for Humanistic Future Studies, director of the International course on the "Future of Religion" in the Inter-University Center for Post-Graduate Studies in Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dr.Tatyana Senyushkina, professor of the Department of Political Science and International Relations at Taurida National V.I. Vernadsky University (Ukraine), head of the Crimean Branch of the Conflict Resolution Association of Ukraine, director of the Network of Cultural Exchange and Interethnic Trust
Participants’ presentations will be published after the workshop.
Registration fee: 100 USD to be paid upon arrival, for an accompanying person – 50 USD.
Registration fee includes conference materials (badge, program, list of participants), coffee breaks, welcoming dinner, concert, publication of the paper in workshop proceedings.
Languages: English, Russian, Ukrainian
Hotel “Bristol”, Yalta, Crimea, Ukraine.
Prices: USD 72 – 276 per room per night. Prices include: accommodation with breakfast, porterage of luggage, VAT
Roosevelt st. 10, Yalta, Crimea98600, Ukraine.
To find out about other, cheaper options of accommodation, please feel free to contact the Organizing Committee.
Guided tours to the Palace-Park Complex of the SouthCrimeanCoast (LivadiaPalace of the last Russian Tzar Nicolay II in Yalta, VoroncovPalace in Alupka, Russian TzarAlexanderIII Palace in Massandra), NikitskiyBotanical Gardens, Massandra Winery.
To participate in the Workshop, please send your application no later than 1 October, 2012 on the following address:
More information about the workshop is on the web-site: http://nce.sevhost.net
and on the page of the workshop in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ReligionandCivilSociety
Name of the Participant
Topic of the Presentation
Scientific degree/Student involvement
Contact phone number (please, indicate the area and country code):
office: ____________________________________alternative: ______________________________________
Postal address for sending printed Workshop Materials:
Signature (if sent by regular mail) ______________________________________________________________
Date of filling the application__________________________________________________________________