SWIP Ireland Annual Conference - Women's Bodies
Abstr. due: 01.09.2014
Dates: 21.11.14 — 22.11.14
Area Of Sciences: Philosophy;
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizers: Society for Women in Philosophy
Conference Theme: Women’s Bodies
Recent decades have seen unprecedented scholarly interest in the body, particularly the gendered body. This interest has been fostered by critical work emanating from the fields of philosophy, sociology, gender studies, cultural studies, medical humanities, and politics. Traditional concepts such as sex and gender have also come under scrutiny outside of the academy, where feminists and LGBT activists have drawn attention to the conceptualisation of the body in the social and political milieus.
Given this widespread appeal of theorisations on the body, the Society for Women in Philosophy Ireland is organising a conference on the topic of Women’s Bodies. Papers might address, but are not limited to, the philosophical considerations arising from the following topics:
- biological and social constructions of sexual difference.
- essentialism regarding sex and gender,
- materiality of the body
- pregnancy, biotechnologies
- the body and sexuality
- sexual violence and harassment
- the phenomenology of pregnancy, birth and parenthood
- technologies and the gendered body
- social movements, activism, and the gendered body
- the gendered body in media and culture
The focus of the conference is primarily philosophical, however, interdisciplinary papers combining philosophy with, among others, sociology, gender studies, cultural studies, politics, and medical humanities are also welcome.