2014 ASAT Conference: Rethinking, Reimagining, and Reflecting American Studies in the 21st Century
Abstr. due: 01.09.2014
Dates: 13.11.14 — 15.11.14
Organizing comittee e-mail: email@example.com
Organizers: Sam Houston State University
Possible questions to consider:
- How has American Identity shaped or been shaped by concepts of American Individualism?
- How has the conflicted political past/present reshaped American Identity?
- How has our own art and music reflected the American Ideal? Are there such things as uniquely American food, music, art, culture?
- Has the embracing of multicultural elements in society reflected or deflected our understanding of what it is to be American?
- How is multiculturalism reflected in current American culture?
We welcome a broad view of the topic that considers historical and contemporary concepts. In keeping with the theme, consider presentations that
- Celebrate the interdisciplinary nature of American Studies and the complex interconnections of theory and research.
- Allow us to take stock of our own memories of where we came from and the paths we have crossed, or negotiated, to get where we are now.
- Reveal the human aspects of our work in ways that intersect with other fields.
Conference Web-Site: http://www.asatexas.org/conferences.html