FIRB Project “Perspectives in Lie Theory”
Abstr. due: 07.09.2014
Dates: 21.02.15 — 28.02.15
Area Of Sciences: Physics and math;
Organizing comittee e-mail: email@example.com.
Organizers: Università di Pisa
Through the past century, Lie theory has developed in several directions, finding important applications in other areas of mathematics and physics.
There exist deep connections among these directions. First of all, techniques and tools are often very similar. Secondly some problems that arise in one context naturally induce questions that find their solution in another one. The combinatorics of root systems and Coxeter groups, for instance, is one of the fundamental ingredients in Lie theory, and some problems not directly connected with this language eventually amount to combinatorial statements.
This is the case, for instance, of the problem of classifying finite and infinite-dimensional Lie algebras, studying symmetric and spherical varieties, as well as topological properties of hyperplane arrangements. In the same vein, some of the most significant results in the combinatorics of Coxeter groups are handled via the geometry of the above varieties, or the representation theory of Lie algebras.
We believe that the collaboration between Lie theorists that have distinct education and interests may constitute a fundamental ingredient for our goals.
In this special period we would like to focus mainly on the following themes:
- Homogeneous varieties and their compactifications
- Wonderful models of subspace and toric arrangements.
- Configuration and loop spaces.
- Combinatorics and topology of toric and hyperplane arrangements and representations of Artin groups.
- Combinatorics of Coxeter groups and groups generated by pseudoreflections.
- Infinite-dimensional Lie algebras, their generalizations and applications.
- Representation theory and Kazhdan-Lusztig conjecture.
- Affine groups and algebras, geometrical aspects and representation theory.
The idea of the Intensive Period is to have some interesting mini courses for PhD students and researchers and regular talks, but also time for discussions and collaboration in the beautiful setting of the city of Pisa.
A workshop will take place during the third week of February.
Conference Web-Site: http://www.crm.sns.it/event/293/
Similar conferences with close deadlines:
II Международная научно-практическая конференция "Механика и машиностроение: наука и практика"Theses applying till 13.12.19, Санкт-Петербург