History of Iberian Science & Medicine
Abstr. due: 15.09.2014
Dates: 19.03.14 — 22.03.14
Area Of Sciences: History and archeology;
Organizing comittee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizers: Association For Spanish And Portuguese Historical Studies, The Johns Hopkins University
We would like to invite you to participate in a series of panels and roundtables bringing together historians of Iberian and colonial Latin American science to discuss recent historiographical developments in the field and new research, as well as to explore the field’s future direction. Prof. Maria M. Portuondo and Prof. Gabriel Paquette serve as the sub-committee on history of science of the ASPHS program committee and will assist the coordinating panels. We ask that you please contact us directly indicating your interest in participating. Since the deadline for all final panel and roundtable submissions is 1 October 2014, we ask that you communicate with the sub-committee well in advance of this date. Travel subventions will be offered to a limited number of accepted participants and will be awarded based on the timely submission and quality of the paper/panel proposals.
Possible sessions of History of Iberian Science and Medicine:
1) Roundtable #1: Ten years after ‘Beyond the Black Legend’ (Valencia 2005). What has ten years wrought?
2) Roundtable #2: Future Directions in Iberian History of Science and Medicine.
3) Panel: New Studies in the History of Science in Colonial Latin America
4) Panel: Colonial Hybrids: Indigenous Beliefs, Natural philosophy and Early Modern Science
5) Panel: Science, Medicine and Literature in the Iberian World
Conference Web-Site: http://asphs.net/