Fourth International Graduate Student Conference: Ideology, Knowledge, and Society in the Eastern Mediterranean
Тезисы до: 15.02.2015
Даты: 04.06.15 — 06.06.15
Область наук: Исторические и археология;
Е-мейл Оргкомитета: email@example.com
Организаторы: Central European University
We are pleased to announce the call for papers for the forthcoming graduate student conference hosted by Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies (CEMS) at Central European University. The conference will run from June 4 to June 6, 2015. The workshop intends to provide a forum for graduate students specializing in any discipline related to the study of the eastern Mediterranean from antiquity to early modernity to present their current research, exchange ideas, and develop scholarly networks (see “Conference Description” below).
One of the key objectives of the workshop is to work against the grain of long-established disciplinary boundaries by discussing the ways in which ideology and knowledge were inherited, transmitted, and exchanged in all areas of society in diachronic and synchronic terms:
- How was ideology or knowledge – referring to theory of knowledge (from philosophy to political thought) as well as its practical applications (technology, warfare etc.) – particularized through accommodation, modification, and departure once it was inherited?
- Under what circumstances and frameworks can one see genuine curiosity, selective accommodation, and outright rejection of cultural interaction within and/or across polity/polities?
Papers will be invited to present case studies and reflect upon the question of how, in an increasingly diversiﬁed and specialized academic environment, meaningful comparative and/or longue-durée studies across disciplines and source languages (inter alia, Latin, Greek, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Syriac, Coptic, Hebrew), can be accomplished.
Possible themes include, but are not limited to:
- Philosophy and Science in the Late Antique, Byzantine, and Ottoman Worlds
- History of Learning and Culture
- Religious Debate and Philosophical Dialogue
- Byzantine Literature
- Legal Thought and Practice
- Political Thought and the Art of Rulership
- Intellectual History and History of Reading
- History Writing, Memory, and Identity
- Knowledge and Authority
- Cultural Translation and Knowledge Production
- Artistic Interaction and Exchange in the Mediterranean
- Ideology and Legitimation of Power
- Performance in Byzantium
- Cultural History of Warfare and Transfer of Military Technology
Веб-сайт конференции: https://www.facebook.com/cemsgrad2015