Weather Radar Calibration & Monitoring workshop (WXRCalMon)
Тезисы до: 01.07.2017
Даты: 18.10.17 — 20.10.17
Е-мейл Оргкомитета: FEZE.Seminar@dwd.de
Организаторы: Deutscher Wetterdienst
DualPol weather radars have been introduced to national radar networks all over the world in recent years. There are new challenges for the operation of radar networks in terms of data quality. In particular, new dualpol moments and the associated requirements on their accuracy mean new calibration methods and tools.
Running operational systems at the leading edge of technology also requires a continuous monitoring of the radar system. This should include the status of all essential radar components, the quality of the radar data, in particular that of the dualpol moments. Radar monitoring aims at guaranteeing the availability of the radar system and the overall radar data quality.
Most meteorological services are working on the implementation of new calibration methods and procedures, as well on monitoring systems. In order to share experiences and foster collaborations, the German Meteorological Service (DWD) is hosting a workshop on calibration and monitoring of operational DualPol Weather radars. Topics include methods to monitor data quality, to derive input for calibration in terms of offsets and how those are implemented and managed. Ultimately the goal is to identify best-practice methods.
There will be in total eight sessions with presentations and sufficient time for discussions.
There will be a poster session. Posters will be on display during the whole workshop.
- Calibration: practices, tools and challenges.
- Monitoring the quality of dualpol moments: methods and experiences
- Monitoring absolute calibration: methods and experiences
- Monitioring positioning accuracy
- Monitoring essential radar system components
- Automated adjustment of system parameters based on monitoring results.
- Practical implementation of monitoring systems: software platform, software maintenance, use of additional sensors, resources, responsibilities, information flow management within the organization.
- Panel discussion: Summary of workshop, discussion on possible research needs, next steps
This workshop primarily aims at experts from weather services who have hands-on experiences on operating and monitoring DualPol weather radar systems. We would appreciate if every participating service presents their procedures on a poster.