Doris Lessing 100: The Writer's Quest
Тезисы до: 30.04.2019
Даты: 12.09.19 — 14.09.19
Е-мейл Оргкомитета: email@example.com
Организаторы: UEA Thomas Paine Centre
The School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing at UEA is hosting an international conference to mark the centenary of Lessing's birth.
Doris Lessing is one of the most widely-read and culturally important writers of the twentieth century, yet her academic reputation does not reflect this fact. On the occasion of her centenary, this conference proposes a new critical exploration of the life and work of a complex and multifaceted writer, presenting an opportunity to rethink her contribution to modern literature. It also seeks to establish Lessing as a central figure in twentieth-century literature who traverses a range of forms, styles, periodising categories, genres, political orientations, and readerships.
The conference will take place at the University of East Anglia, an institution that Lessing had a strong connection with, and to which she donated her extensive personal papers on her death.
The event will coincide with an exhibition dedicated to Lessing's life and work in the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts at UEA, which will see letters, manuscripts and personal effects on public display for the first time.
Confirmed keynote speakers include:
Patrick French (Lessing’s official biographer) in conversation with Professor Christopher Bigsby (UEA)
Dr. Nick Hubble (Brunel University)
Professor Roberta Rubenstein (American University, Washington).
Topics may include, but are not restricted to:
- Lessing’s relationship to questions of gender, feminism and women’s liberation
- Lessing's politics: Communism, Anti-Communism and the New Left
- Lessing and the theory of the novel: realism and/or experimentalism in Lessing’s work
- Lessing as short story writer / poet / playwright
- Science fiction
- Sufism / religion
- Lessing and Africa: from the colonial to the postcolonial
- Archives: Lessing's papers, her interest in archives
- Reception and readership
- Lessing in translation (the BCLT at UEA has an extensive archive of translations: contact the conference organisers if you would like to consult this)
- Teaching Lessing
- Lessing’s influence
Веб-сайт конференции: http://dorislessing100.org/cfp