Subaltern, Suburban, and Subterranean - Utopian Studies Conference 2019
Город: East Lansing
Тезисы до: 15.07.2019
Даты: 17.10.19 — 19.10.19
Е-мейл Оргкомитета: email@example.com.
Организаторы: Society for Utopian Studies
Michigan is a borderland surrounded by the Great Lakes. Shaped by Detroit and influenced by Chicago and Canada, the state’s subaltern, suburban, and subterranean landscapes are permeated by bountiful wetlands throughout. The history and location of Michigan and its cities Detroit and Flint provide a wide variety of possible approaches and topics related to utopian and dystopian thought. Michigan State University (MSU) is home to the American Radicalism Collection and the largest and most comprehensive Comic Art Collection in the world. The conference will take place at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center on the MSU campus.
We particularly invite papers related to any aspect of the
- Utopian Political Movements and Radicalism: The history of utopian social, cultural, and political movements including the underground railroad, United Auto Workers, civil rights, and Black Power.
- Utopian Social/Cultural Movements and Intentional Communities: Including the formation, displacement, or social organization of these groups, including Beaver Island and institutions with utopian roots such as Kellogg.
- Music, Entertainment, Art, and Popular Culture: Music and utopia, comic arts, and fine arts.
- The Rust Belt and the Future of Sub/Urban Living: Including immigration/migration and race, human geography, architecture, design, and zoning policy.
- From Modernism to Techno Utopia: Steam, copper, and steel; Edison; Ford; Oldsmobile; connected and automated transportation (e.g.,MCity), among others.
- Environmentalism and the Rust Belt: Including water quality, Superfund sites, and indigenous land rights, among others.
Веб-сайт конференции: https://utopian-studies.org/conference2019/