Synergies: Bridging the Gap Between Traditional and Digital Literary Studies
Тезисы до: 01.11.2019
Даты: 04.05.20 — 06.05.20
Е-мейл Оргкомитета: firstname.lastname@example.org
Организаторы: Network for Digital Literary Studies
The Network for Digital Literary Studies invites submissions for the conference Synergies: Bridging the Gap Between
Traditional and Digital Humanities. With the advent of digital humanities over the course of the last decades,
discussions about the theoretical and methodological foundations of literary studies have been reinvigorated.
However, discussions have all too often centered on the perceived opposition between digital literary studies and
traditional literary scholarship, not on their fruitful theoretical and methodological interchange.
As the conference title suggests, the overall theme of the conference is to address the synergies between digital
humanities and traditional literary scholarship. Rather than reproducing the perceived methodological bifurcation
between digital humanists and literary scholars, the aim of the conference is to stimulate discussion and reflection
across the methodological divide. We invite contributors to reflect on how traditional literary scholarship may
benefit digital humanities and vice versa.
We welcome proposals from all scholars of literature - digital and non-digital. Possible topics include, but are not
• Theoretical and methodological questions sparked by DH in literary research;
• The power of digital modelling and visualization in communicating literary research;
• Combining distant and close reading – gains and challenges;
• Experimental approaches to literature enabled by DH;
• The potential of DH in comparative studies;
• Rethinking literary history by way of the “great unread”;
• Mapping race, gender, sexuality, and class in digital literary studies;
• Questions of genre and affect;
• Cross-disciplinarity and new ways of doing literary research opened up by DH;
• Dig lit in the classroom;
• Scale: meso, big or small?