Art and War. New Perspectives
Місто: New York
Тези до: 16.06.2016
Дати: 16.09.16 — 16.09.16
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: email@example.com
Організатори: The Frick Collection
The Frick Collection is pleased to invite submissions for “Art and War,” a symposium that will accompany the special exhibition "Watteau’s Soldiers: Scenes of Military Life in Eighteenth-Century France."
On view from July 12 to October 2, 2016, the exhibition presents a selection of Jean-Antoine Watteau’s little-known drawings and paintings of military life. In these works, Watteau eschews martial glory in favor of depicting more mundane aspects of life on the front: fatigue, boredom, simple diversions. Prompted by Watteau’s singular vision of war, The Frick Collection solicits 25-minute papers that consider the relationship between art and war in ways both direct and oblique, across all media, geographic regions, and time periods.
We welcome a range of approaches that engage critically with the historical and theoretical problems posed by the relationship between art and war. Questions to be addressed include, but are not limited to:
- What representational pressures and aesthetic challenges has war
- Where have artists located themselves in, away from, or after “the
- How can art convey the experience of war—not only the violence of
battle, but also its impact on everyday life?
- How has art glorified, condemned, or otherwise commented on war?
- What can we learn from examining this relationship in an age of
Веб-сторінка конференції: http://arthist.net/archive/12973