Encounters with Difference: A conference on travel writing and gender
Тези до: 15.06.2017
Дати: 27.10.17 — 28.10.17
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: firstname.lastname@example.org
Організатори: Free University of Berlin
Travel Writing is centrally concerned with narrating encounters with difference. This conference seeks to further the discussion of how gender influences these encounters and the writing thereof. While recent years have seen renewed scholarly interest in travel writing and in questions of gender in the field, we believe there are still crucial questions to be asked about the gendering of travel and travel writing. We are interested in addressing questions such as: How does gender interact with and modulate other kinds of difference, particularly cultural or racialised difference, in these texts? How are processes of othering, racializing, and gendering mutually implicated in travel writing? Do encounters with others trouble writers’ own identities – including gender identities, as colonial or imperial subjects, of European supremacy – or are these troubling encounters neutralized by recourse to other forms of difference, such as race? What part does gender play in different kinds of travel writing, and in writing from different locations and cultures?
Furthermore, we seek to ask how gender defines and shapes travel writing as a (hybrid) genre: How is and were definitions of travel writing gendered? How does and did gender play into questions of authenticity, fictionality and the proper scope of travel writing? Does or should travel writing include the narration of forms of travel such as forced migration, and how might this change the field?
We welcome papers from scholars of all fields interested in travel writing, including literary studies, art history, geography, ethnography and history. The conference will be held in English, but papers on travel writing in any and all languages are welcome. We invite papers on travel writing, particularly from the 18th–21st centuries, that engage with all questions of gender and difference. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Gender and the definition of travel and travel writing
- Space, place, mapping and gender
- Travel writing as nature writing
- Travel writing as a hybrid genre, e.g. political discourse in personal correspondence
- Relations between authenticity, fictionality and hybridity
- Gender and the reception of European travel writing outside Europe
- What is the role of gender for non-European travellers? Is the intersection of gender and imperialism relevant?
- Queering travel writing and the study of travel writing; travel writing and sexuality
- Gender and travel photography
- Travel writing, gender and affect
- Travel writing, gender and forms of authority accruing to writers and travelers through travel writing
- Gender and the forms of knowledge and social commentary articulated in travel writing
- The significance of travel writing for knowledge production through history
Веб-сторінка конференції: https://encounterswithdifference.wordpress.com/