Emerging Scholars Panel—Religion and Theatre Focus Group ATHE
Місто: Las Vegas
Тези до: 27.01.2018
Дати: 03.08.18 — 06.08.18
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: Laura_Nicholas@baylor.edu
Організатори: Association of Theatre in Higher Education
The Religion and Theatre Focus Group invites current and recent graduate students, having graduated within the past 2-3 years, and/or independent scholars who have not yet presented at a major national conference to submit papers to its 2017 Emerging Scholars Panel. Papers should address how religion and theatre correspond and interact, but “religion” and “theatre” can both be conceived broadly. Essays may consider all aspects of spirituality, spiritual practice, religion as institution, and theology, as well as drama, performance, and performativity. We particularly encourage submissions that engage with notions of religion and theatre/performance as they relate to this year’s conference theme, “Spectacle: balancing education, theory, and praxis #ATHE2017OfBreadAndCircuses.” Taking a cue from our host city of Las Vegas, does what happens at church/mass/temple stay at church/mass/temple?
For this year’s Emerging Scholars Panel, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Ecumenica, a peer-reviewed scholarly journal particularly interested in scholarship that explores the relationship between spiritual faith, religion, and the arts, and which promotes positive dialogue about different faith traditions. With author consent, selected papers will be regarded as recommended submissions for a special issue of Ecumenica, to be published in Spring, 2018. Ecumenica editors will provide each paper with a critique and recommendations designed to prepare the papers for the possibility of publication.
Possible topics may include:
- How do examples of traditional or contemporary religion and/or religious groups produce spectacle? Or lack thereof?
- What effect does religious performance have on the understanding of spectacle within the socioeconomic sphere?
- How does the reception of religious spectacle relate to the reception of other performative acts?
- How does spiritual performance constitute, challenge, or interact with notions of secular spectacle?
- How has the emergence of religiously themed recreation affected the legacy of religion and theatre?
- For this conference, the Religion and Theatre Focus Group will only be accepting completed conference papers for consideration. Papers should be approximately 10 pages in length.
- Please include a cover page with your name, paper title, institutional affiliation, contact information, and a 200-word abstract, but please remove your name from any other page of the essay, as submissions will go through a blind vetting process.
- In the body of your submission email, please include a brief bio and any requests for AV equipment, if applicable. AV equipment may be requested, but is not guaranteed otherwise.