Conference on Sermon Studies: "The Technologies of Preaching"
Тези до: 01.06.2019
Дати: 05.09.19 — 07.09.19
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: firstname.lastname@example.org
Організатори: Marshall University Center for Sermon Studies
The Center for Sermon Studies at Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia announces its third annual Conference on Sermon Studies, to be held September 5-7 at the Killashee Hotel in Dublin, Ireland.
The conference is multidisciplinary and interfaith. The organizers’ goal is to bring scholars, practitioners, and interested laypersons together to discuss sermon texts and the art of preaching from a variety of academic and religious perspectives.
The theme for 2019 is “The Technologies of Preaching.” We are defining “technology” quite broadly; topics related to the theme might include
- Manuscript culture (e.g., calligraphy and other arts)
- Print culture (e.g., the business of sermon publishing)
- Multimedia (e.g., preaching and presentation software)
- Broadcast media (e.g., adapting preaching for radio or television)
- The Internet age (e.g., livestreaming, podcasting, YouTube)
- Digital humanities (e.g. demonstrations of indexes, archives, and other online projects)
We are also interested in projects focusing on all aspects of the sermon, including
- Preaching in antiquity and the medieval period
- Preaching by women
- Jewish and Islamic preaching
- Preaching in areas other than Britain and the United States
In addition to traditional panels of papers, the program will include
- Poster sessions
- “Pop-up” or “unconference” sessions, in which the topic/agenda are determined during the conference
- Workshops and continuing-education opportunities. These could run longer than the typical conference session (from several hours to a half-day), with participants discussing “best practices” for sermon preparation and delivery, giving and receiving feedback on drafts, or even giving sample sermons.