Lewis: Representation in Mind and Language 2020 Conference
Тези до: 30.11.2019
Дати: 30.03.20 — 01.04.20
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: LewisRepresentation@gmail.com
Організатори: School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science, University of Leeds
Over the course of about three decades and more than a dozen separate works, David Lewis developed a unique—and uniquely sophisticated—theory of mental and linguistic representation.
Starting from a relatively simple base of purely physical facts about an agent, Lewis tells us how to derive that agent’s beliefs and desires. With our knowledge of the beliefs and desires of a community we can then derive what conventions they follow. This affords us access to the meanings of sentences in their language, and in turn the meanings of the words from which those sentences are composed. The result, if it works, is a more or less complete picture of how meaning and intentionality fit into the natural world.
The focus of this workshop will be on any aspect of Lewis’ theory of representation. Topics include, but are not limited to,
- Original problems with or objections to Lewis’ theory.
- Attempts to improve upon or address significant gaps in Lewis’ proposal (e.g., whether and how an agent’s ‘life history of evidence’ can be given a physicalist interpretation, or how to explain meaning without use).
- The role (or roles) that naturalness plays in Lewis’ theory, and/or the role that naturalness should play in that theory.
- Applications of Lewis’ theory to related philosophical issues (e.g., the meaning and ethics of derogatory terms; the relationship between consciousness and intentionality).
The current line up of speakers includes:
- Cian Dorr New York University
- Edward Elliott University of Leeds
- Anandi Hattiangadi Stockholm University
- Jessica Keiser University of Leeds
- Daniel Nolan University of Notre Dame
- Robbie Williams University of Leeds
Веб-сторінка конференції: https://philevents.org/event/show/75350
Конференції по темі - із близькими дедлайнами:
XXIV Международная научно-практическая конференция «EUROPEAN RESEARCH»Тези приймаються до 07.02.20, г Пенза