Disagreement and Philosophy
Тези до: 13.12.2019
Дати: 06.03.20 — 07.03.20
Область наук: Філософські;
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: firstname.lastname@example.org
Організатори: Department of Philosophy , Ryerson University, Toronto
Ryerson University is now accepting papers for its 2020 philosophy graduate conference “Disagreement and Philosophy”. We invite submissions from graduate students working in all areas and traditions of philosophy to submit papers relevant to the conference theme.
Disagreement affects many aspects of our society and everyday lives - we disagree about ethics, politics, religion, art, culture, etc. Disagreement is also perennial within the discipline of philosophy itself. The purpose of the conference is to explore disagreement in all these forms and to assess its value. Possible topics for papers include, but are not limited, to:
- The Nature and Value of Disagreement. Is there something distinctive about one particular kind of disagreement? Is it inherently valuable? What can be learned or gained from it?
- The Social Impact of Disagreement. How should we deal with political disagreements in which one is unwilling to listen to the other sides? What happens when one side is silenced? How could one demarcate justified from unjustified silencing? How should governments or political institutions respond to deep moral disagreements among citizens?
- Disagreement and Rationality. What ought we to believe in the face of peer disagreement? What is the epistemic value of disagreement? How does disagreement amongst recognized experts affect what we can claim to know? What is the value, if any, of expert disagreement?
- Disagreement and Religious Faith. Does disagreement among religious faiths and traditions constitute evidence for the falsity of any one or all religions? What are the cultural and/or political ramifications of such disagreements?
- Disagreement and Philosophical Method. How should we view disagreements regarding approaches to, and the aims of, philosophy and the history of philosophy? What is the value of philosophical or meta-philosophical disagreement?
Веб-сторінка конференції: https://philevents.org/event/show/76470