QUDs and Exhaustivity: Experiments, Computation, and Theory - GrazQUD20
Тези до: 15.07.2020
Дати: 25.09.20 — 26.09.20
Область наук: Філологічні;
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=grazqud20
Організатори: University of Graz
In grammatical theories, exhaustivity inferences are usually linked to two major components: some sort of exhaustivity operator and a set of alternatives. The set of alternatives can be lexically constrained, as in the case of scalar implicatures, but is usually a set of focus-alternatives and thus naturally connected to the Question under Discussion. By definition, at least at the global level, the congruent question is a sub-set of the focus alternatives of a sentence. Hence, exhaustivity can be conceptualized for such cases as completeness of answers to questions. In other cases, however, in embedded environments, it is not obvious whether and how a relevant question under discussion can be found. Thus, the relation between focus alternatives relevant to exhaustification and the question under discussion is not transparent.
In the workshop we wish to bring together pragmatic and grammatical approaches to exhaustivity inferences associated with different constructions: scalar implicatures, clefts, focus constructions, embedded questions, presuppositions, discourse relations etc. Thereby, we assume that the relevance of a set of alternatives and the QUD may be a link between different types of approaches that needs further exploration.
We welcome theoretical, computational, and experimental talks that further our understanding of the role of alternatives in pragmatics and semantics. Specific topics might relate to, but are not limited to:
- What is the role of QUD in Bayesian models of communication?
- What is the role of the QUD in the case of embedded implicatures?
- How exhaustive are questions and embedded questions in particular? Can there be rational global pragmatic analyses of this phenomenon?
- What are the best state of the art models for pragmatic and grammatical exhaustification?
- If the QUD is connected to at-issueness and projection, is exhaustivity also connected to these phenomena and if so in what way?
- How can we predict the choice of quantifiers and optimal descriptions of complex situations and how does this depend on the QUD?
- QUDs as discourse structuring devices create constraints on expected content. Which exhaustivity implicature can thereby be triggered at the discourse level?
Веб-сторінка конференції: https://www.xprag.de/?page_id=8424
Конференції по темі - із близькими дедлайнами:
Европейский журнал литературоведения и лингвистики. Номер 4/2020Тези приймаються до 30.10.20, Вена
VII Международный симпозиум «Гуманитарные и общественные науки в Европе: достижения и перспективы»IТези приймаються до 24.01.21, Вена