Tropical Ecology Congress-2014
Місто: New Delhi
Тези до: 30.08.2014
Дати: 10.12.14 — 12.12.14
Е-мейл Оргкомітету: firstname.lastname@example.org
Організатори: Jawaharlal Nehru University
Human society is currently facing enormous problems related to climate change, biodiversity loss, increased population growth, and resource use patterns that threaten earth's life supporting systems. Resolution of these multifaceted problems requires integrating knowledge from various interdisciplinary fields. Present crisis has challenged ecologists globally to provide a scientific basis for addressing these problems and develop a road map of ecosystem stewardship to the benefit of mankind.
Although human activities have global impacts, the tropical ecosystems which contain largest proportions of biodiversity that contribute to the livelihoods of over one and half billion poor people, are under the greatest pressure. The tropics occupy about 40 % of earth's surface, are endowed with the largest reservoir of terrestrial Carbon, much higher CO2 and water than any other biomes of the world and play critical role in determining earth's energy balance. Mountain regions of the tropics harbor unique elements of biodiversity and assume great importance in the face of global change and consequent species shifts.
It is important to synthesize and exchange existing ecological knowledge and to identify critical gaps that demand immediate attention. Ongoing global change poses tremendous challenges on ecosystem structure and functions which in turn affect various ecosystem services crucial for humanity. It is important to develop in depth understanding of the drivers of global change to predict, evaluate and mitigate adverse effects of forthcoming changes on tropical ecosystems. This Congress (TEC 2014) aims to bring together the researchers actively engaged in the field of Tropical Ecology from world over and provide an interdisciplinary platform for discussion to suggest future directions of research for the benefit of humanity.
The broad themes of the Congress:
* Tropics and Climate change: impacts, mitigation and adaptations
* Tropical Biodiversity and ecosystem services
* Hill and mountain ecosystems in tropics
* Forest and Grassland Ecosystems
* Coastal and marine ecosystems
* Biotic interactions and biological Invasion
* Traditional socio-ecological systems, indigenous knowledge and adaptive management
* Socio-ecological issues in north-eastern region of India
* Tropical soils, agricultural systems and forest–agriculture linkages
* Food security and bio-prospecting
* Hydrology in terrestrial ecosystem and climate change
* Landscape approach to ecosystem management
* Management of degraded ecosystems
Веб-сторінка конференції: http://www.jnu.ac.in/conference/tec2014/